Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Day 59 Party on the island!

I missed the hotel breakfast. Got water at the store.  And sat with the hotel owner for several hours.  He showed me the new menu with pictures.  They had a lot of badass traditional dishes served up on fancy dishes.  Definitely the nicest hotel in town.  And not expensive! 

They had a pool with diving board and an outdoor bar that looked like it used to be an old horse wagon.





I said my farewells and prepared to leave.  On the way across the river there was a mini party on this island.  I thought, cant hurt to stop.  And it didn't.

People, sometimes old and young get together and consume adult beverages.  These beverages, the adults think, are hydrating. Actually they are the opposite, they dehydrate, but are perceived as hydrating.  These beverages give an effect of certain numbness on the body.  They also change the psychology of the brain by allowing the adult to do whatever they want to without regard.  This is a good feeling. I decided to indulge in these beverages with other adults doing the same. the result?  Singing of old country songs.  Trying to trade sunglasses.  Exchanging of gifts.  Hugs.  Dancing.  Eating of animal flesh. And general interest in the world.

Upon leaving the island we thought it would be a good idea to tie my kayak to a motor boat and drag it across back to the mainland.  The driver drove faster than I would have liked.  This resulted in the kayak being filled up with water, and ruining many valuable things of mine.

It turns out Playboy magazines from Hungary aren't as important as i once originally had thought.

Long story short.  I hung out with a nice couple, the girl remained sober, and drove her boyfriend and myself around town looking for fun in a BMW. 

I met her parents.  Told them political views, then sang them a country song.  This was a good idea, and it got me a round of applause.

My harmonica is broken now, someone blew too hard on the reeds.

Then the nice couple allowed me to sleep in their guest room in their semi-mansion/sweet digs.

The maid made us all hashbrowns, sausage, eggs, tomatoes, cheese, salami, and so on.

We were all tired, as these adult beverages depleted out liver enzymes, nutrients, H20 levels, and brain cells, giving us a feeling that was the complete opposite of how we felt just hours ago.

We went to the store, got water, and blah blah.

We went to my kayak to organize and dump out all the excess water.  Boarder control wanted to meet me and take my autograph.  I'm starting to become famous out here I guess.

I left.

Stopped back at the island.  And played soccer with a group of young gentlemen who gave me free beer and a large bottle of palinka.  They also gave me a hand made wallet from Turkey!

Great people.

I'm very tired now.

I paddled 30km in the dark.  But it was almost a full moon with a completely clear sky.  It was also a meteor shower and the water was like glass.

People overuse the word beautiful.  Stop it.  When I want to describe something truly beautiful I have to now come up with new words.  And I don't want to.  Also my vocabulary is minuscule.

This night was beautiful.  I just paddled slow and stared at the sky for hours. 

I also was drinking palinka and drunk calling old friends.  I'm crazy.

Km 599

No comments:

Post a Comment