Saturday, August 3, 2019

Day 46 Paddling to Belgrade

Last night was rough.  After i wrote last nights entry to the blog I had more interesting things happen.

As I tried to sleep, relax, whatever, I heard a disturbing sound.  Something that sounds like an angry animal, and not far.  It was kicking and sniffing and grunting...not good... not good, at all.

I put on my headlamp and turned it to the direction it came.  I saw one eye, and the side of a large face, maybe 20 feet away.  Then the large animal turned it's head and I saw both eyes, large eyes.  I focused my eyesight and saw horns.  Large, horns.

The beast was acting and looking beastly, and I wasn't feeling the same attitude.  One might saw I had the complete opposite attitude, some might call that attitude fear.  And I, do call that fear.

So I slooooowwwwly grabbed my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and towel for a pillow, and walked away hoping the large bull wouldn't follow or chase.  My plan was if that happened to jump into the water and swim out into the night with my inflatable sleeping pad and float to a safe distance away.

i didn't have to, but i did walk all the way back to my boat at 130am, sleep for 1 hour, try to sleep for 2, and when day broke around 5am I went back to my hammock and tarp and slept for 5 hours.

Not great.

So John woke me up from 11am and we paddled separately to the next town where we met Toby and some other paddlers who gave us some tips on what to do with parking the boats in Belgrade.

I paddled off alone all day and felt like I was going through sludge.  The river is very slow.





But I got to Belgrade, so did John.  We parked in a gipsy park.  So I took all my expensive stuff with me.  I assume they will take everything else.  My gift.

We got a sweet hotel, which says is 4 star, but it's more like 3... but hey, its Serbia.

Ate and awesome kabob thing.

Sleep is good.
km 1165

No comments:

Post a Comment