Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Day 54 75km and Camping with Stangere

Every town I pass through or by has a similarge sound.  It's usually chickens or the sound of fishermen using the clunker tool to catch catfish.  Today was mostly chicken.

I had to wake up at 8 am, to get to store by 830 to get back to the boat by 9am which I told the man from the private yacht club I'd meet him.

Turns out I showed up late but could have showed up anytime.

The taxi driver I ran around the city for 45 mins looking for a headlamp.  We found one, its garbage, but it'll do.

Today was he first day paddling alone and for good.  It felt odd.  Somewhat lonely, but also liberating.  I wasn't chasing anyone, or waiting for anyone, so I could go at my own pace all day.  And my pace was quick.  I enjoy the sport of kayaking.  I love getting into a groove for 30 to 60 minutes of nonstop paddling at a high pace.  All while day dreaming and contemplating and meditating. 

Nothing exciting happened.  I asked a fisherman how to pass the next lock.  I saw a couple cruise ships and barges.  Passed by some nice little villages.

Then came the lock.  At this point it was 530 and I had paddling 65km, and was still in a good flow.  But, once again, the lock and dam held me up.

There was a canoe teamed by 3 Hungarian men.  I stopped to talk to them but they were anti social.  Almost to the point of being rude, or what some might call "snobby"

As I left the lock I said good luck.  They didn't respond, so I said what I wanted to say, which went something like " Go..... and I hope....."
It felt good to get that off my chest and behind me.  I don't have time for rudeness.

I paddled till I found a good spot, which I did.  Only thing was this spot was covered in sheep poop and hair.  I collected wood for a fire but had no light.  There was a girl up the trail I could see.  So I ran over and politely asked for a lighter.  She said no, but her mother or grandmother might. 

We talked for a moment, and her family arrived. No one had a lighter.

BUT.  They offered for me to stay at their camp for the night, instead of where the sheep poop.  I made the good decision of camping with them.

They made pork, and cheese pie, and tomatoes, and water melon l, and fresh bread..and fish.

We sat and talked for hours with cold drinks and warm hearts.

I now have another warm bed in this old camper and am tired as hell.

I passed the final lock on the Danube, other than the last one entering the canal.

Hell of a day.

Cant wait till morning!

75km paddled today.
not too many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment