Sunday, August 4, 2019

Day 52. Waves of wind and waves

I shivered last night without my sleeping bag that was stolen in Belgrade.  Deciding to use my tarp for warmth was smart.  Toby lent me his tarp as well.  So I got half decent sleep.

We woke up to an angry Romanian farmer man, who's property we must have slept on, but with the police's permission.  It was a plum vineyard, and we explained we were leaving, he let us go.

We got stopped again my the police, and basically ignored him as he checked our paperwork.  This worked, and got us away from the situation quickly.

We paddle 40km today.  Today was certainly the most treacherous 40km of the trip.  It was heavy winds the entire time.  Which threw me across the huge river all day.  This only got worse.  We went through a pass which was extremely narrow, and apparently a big tourist attraction as well. 

So, along with 30mph winds, a small and long passage through beautiful mountains, we had to deal with speeding boats filled with tourists with orange life jackets on waving at us like we were part of the attraction.  This was exciting but also annoying, i hate tourists.  Even though I am one. 

I really cant describe the intensity of this day other than imagine sitting I'm a kayak for 8 hours with winds coming from every direction, 5 foot waves crashing on top of you from every direction, having to keep the boat from sinking or turning, being in the most beautiful places you've ever seen, and having tourists take pictures the whole time... you're also hungry, thirsty, and have to go pee and poop, but there is no where to pull over because both sides of the river are rocky cliffs.






Then we got to a brand new hotel for basically 20 bucks a person in a tubular cove just before the Iron Gates locks and dam.

Much needed sleep coming.

I hate tourists.

I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment