Thursday, August 8, 2019

Day 56 Stop through Calafat after woke up by goats

I slept in.  This was a mistake.  Instead of leaving camp by 9, i slept till 930, and was awoken by a heard of goat.  Not a quiet group of friends were they.  And led by a not no older than 10 years of age ringing a bell to herd them properly.  He spoke no English but I pointed to my boat and gestured to hold the goat before coming closer, so I could pack and leave.  He smiled and nodded.  The boy had a very wise and mature look in his eyes.  Almost like he knew in was from the outside world, and he knew he would never see much of what i had or will see.  It was a sad look, but a knowingness and also a contented with it all, like he understood his place.  I respect that kid.  Hes going to grow up to be a good person.

I left without preparing any food or what or even a bathroom break.. a but uncomfortable.  But I stopped further down and took care of everything.

15 km later was one of the last "bigger" and accessible towns on the river for close to 200km.  So I stopped and grabbed 3 gallons of water, now I have 4.  And some granola bars, and tuna.  The basics.

On the way out, i walked around a bit.  It was a nice place, lots of green and very unique style city grid.  I also stopped for a burger and beer.  What I was served was not a burger.  It was a slop of fries ketchup and pickles with a tiny piece of cafeteria style burger.  Not what I expected.  Good thing I ordered 2.



So I set out, and most of the 100 degree day was pretty relaxing.  I tried tuning myself twice for an hour each with my S Health App.  I made 10.10km I one hour almost each time.  Pretty good pace, but not sustainable for 9 hours.  I can do 8 per hour, and then I'll do 2 or 3 hours where I do 10km.  I stop a few times to eat, stretch my legs, swim, chill, and am still making 60km per day.

120km away is a town called Corbia.  That's 60km per day.  Or 75km and 45km.  I dont have to stop, but a hotel would be nice.  On the other hand trying to just push hard to the Black Sea sounds fun.  It is about 95 to 100 degrees here now, but not Louisiana style.  It's just maybe 30 percent humid, not 75 or 100 percent like in New Orleans right now.  Which I miss.  I also miss my dog Joey. 

We have all the food, water, and supplies we will need, I might even have enough food to last me to the Black Sea.  I estimate that if I do 60km per day I cam be there by next Saturday.  And to Vama Veche by next Sunday or Monday.  From there I'll stay maybe a week, and paddle further down and beach hop until I run out of time or money.

km 749

No comments:

Post a Comment